Mirte BoelensPhD Candidate
Research groupYouth health care
I am a PhD candidate at the Department of Public Health.
My research is about a healthy development for children in a safe and supportive environment. I study deteterminants of health behavior and health outcomes. I also study how to improve a healthy development via local youth health policy (Promising Neighbourhoods project).
I have MSc. in Nutrition and Health, specialisation Nutrition and public Health Epidemiology (Wageningen University and Research).
Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam
Internal post address Na-2401
P.O. Box 2040
3000 CA Rotterdam
Dr. Molewaterplein 40
3015 GD Rotterdam
I supervise medical students with community projects (BSc. students) and with their thesis (MSc. students).
I lectured medical students how/when to give lifestyle prevention and psychological communication skills for coaching to BSc. medical students in 2021. I also lectured the course maternal and child health for NIHES MSc students in 2019.
- Committee member Junior epidemiologists VvE (Werkgroep junior epidemiologen, Vereniging voor Epidemiologie): April 2021-present
- Committee member/ chair of the science café (Wetenschapcafé): May 2020- present
- Committee member Junior representatives of the department of public Health (Junior vertegenwoordigersoverleg/JVO): December 2018- Februari 2021
Most relevant publications
Evaluation of the promising neighbourhoods community program to reduce health inequalities in youth: a protocol of a mixed-methods study
BMC Public Health
Associations of vitamin D deficiency with MRI markers of brain health in a community sample
Response letter to the editor: Associations of vitamin D deficiency with MRI markers of brain health in a community sample
Independent contributions of family and neighbourhood indicators of socioeconomic status and migrant status to risk of mental health problems in 4-12 year old children
SSM Popul Health
- MSc. Nutrition and Health, specialisation Nutritional and Public Health Epidemiology (Wageningen University and Research) 2016-2018
- BaSc. Nutrition and Dietetics (Hanzehogeschool Groningen): 2012-2016